Information for cruise visitors going to Alaska
If you have cruise questions about Alaska, feel free to leave a comment and share your answers and let us know what you love about cruising in Alaska. And if you are looking for cruise inspiration click on these links to read about my Alaska cruises.
- Southbound Alaska Cruise with pre-cruise cruisetour via Princess Cruises
- Alaska roundtrip from Seattle via Holland America Line
When is the best time to sail in Alaska?
The Alaska cruise season begins in May and ends in September. Generally speaking, the height of the season is late June through July. The shoulder seasons tend to be colder and wetter, but that is not a guarantee that rain and snow are not likely in the summer months.
What cruise lines cruise in Alaska?
There is plenty of cruise product to meet the varied needs of cruise guests: luxury visitors, families, and those looking to explore the Last Frontier will find a shipboard experience catering to their specific needs. Tip: cruise visitors should look at the year a cruise ship was built and refurbished to make sure that their cruise line has the features they want: specialty restaurants, water slides, and stateroom amenities vary by ship within each fleet.
Where do ships sail from?
- One way: Southbound Anchorage (Whittier or Seward) to Vancouver (better for getting flights home and combining a land tour).
- One-way Northbound: Vancouver to Anchorage (Whittier or Seward)
- Rountrip Vancouver
- Rountrip Seattle
Popular ports and destinations in Alaska
Visit Travel Alaska to learn more about each port.
- Anchorage (for Whittier and Seward)
- Prince Rupert, BC
- Seattle, WA
- Vancouver, BC
- Victoria, BC
Articles about cruising Alaska
- Alaska Dream Cruises Review
- Pre or Post Cruise Ideas: Celebrating Aerospace near Seattle
- Post Cruise visit to the Future of Flight and Boeing Factory Tour
- Cooking Dutch Pancakes with the Captain on Holland America Line
- Live Voyage Report: Ketchikan, Alaska via Holland America Line
- Live Voyage Report: Sitka via Holland America Line
- Live Voyage Report: Juneau, Alaska via Holland America Line
- Live Voyage Report: Scenic Cruising Tracy Arm Fjord
- Photo Tour: Holland America Line’s Oosterdam Galley Visit
- Live Voyage Report: Welcome aboard Holland America Line Oosterdam
- Pre-Cruise Stay in Seattle: Pike Place Market, Alki, King County Water Taxi
- Live Voyage Report Preview: Holland America Line Alaska Cruise
Links to More Port Guides on the Web
Click here to access our Blogger-at-Large series.
Below are more resources that I use to find information about cruise ports.
- Toms Port Guides – as a hobby Tom Sheridan writes port guides. He has done a great job capturing the details that cruise visitors need to know.
- WhatsInPort – a down-and-dirty list of 1200 port of call click here.
- CruisePortWiki, which offers guides to major cruise ports around the world. They feature concise travel guides targeted towards cruise ship passengers.