7 Events in San Diego
Cruise news about San Diego.
San Diego is one of those cruise ports that you must plan a pre or post stay to maximize your vacation experience. The laid back coastal town, which is the U.S.’s 8th largest city, has many events and places to explore that cruise visitors will not want to miss.
Below are 7 events in San Diego that you will want to know about, just in case you happen to be cruising from the port.
7 Epic Events in San Diego
Make plans to sail from San Diego in conjunction with one of these 7 epic events.
- Baseball without Borders: Teams from 16 Nations compete in six games during the second round of the World Baseball Classic, which takes the field at Petco Park in downtown San Diego, March 14-19.
- Motorsports in the Sky: The Red Bull Air Race World Series makes its third appearance in San Diego on April 15-16. Twelve of the world’s best pilots come together from 10 cities and nine countries as they compete in a fast-paced, twisting air race for the fastest time and fewest penalties.
- The Best Soccer on this Continent: The Confederation of North, Central America, and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) heads to San Diego for the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup, the official national team soccer championship of the region. On July 9, San Diego hosts an opening round doubleheader at Qualcomm Stadium featuring the Mexican national team as the seeded nation of Group C.
- The Original Nerd Culture Fest: The largest comics and pop culture event in the United States, Comic-Con International attracts thousands of artists, celebrities, and fans of comic books, movie memorabilia and all things related to pop culture to the San Diego Convention Center downtown, July 20-23.
- The Next Big Music Festival: An upscale music festival experience, KAABOO Del Mar features seven stages and more than 100 musical acts, plus a dedicated comedy stage and food and beverages from local and celebrity chefs, craft breweries and local wineries. Held Sept. 15-17 at the seaside Del Mar Fairgrounds, KAABOO’s lineup has yet to be announced, but past performers included No Doubt, Aerosmith, and The Chainsmokers.
- Sailing on the Edge: During Oct. 19-22, professional sailors take to San Diego Bay aboard a fleet of hydro-foiling GC32 catamarans capable of reaching speeds of up to 39 knots for the Extreme Sailing Series. San Diego serves as the penultimate race stop and is the only U.S. destination featured in this international racing series.
- Thoroughbred Glory: One of thoroughbred racing’s most prestigious international events, 2017 marks the first year that the Breeders’ Cup World Championships will be held at the seaside Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. The best horses, trainers, and owners from around the world will gather in Del Mar on Nov. 3-4 for the $26 million competition.
For even more event listings and up-to-the-minute additions and changes, visit www.sandiego.org/