River Cruise Buzz
Sail along with me live: December 2-9, 2012 via social media
This cruise promises a wonderful journey along the Rhine River on one of the best river boats on the water: Uniworld Cruises S.S. Antoinette. You can keep up in a variety of ways:
- Via Twitter: I will be using the #urhm (Uniworld Rhine Holiday Markets) hashtag for my stories. Follow @CruiseBuzz and search the stream to keep up-to-date.
- Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BuzzBooth
- Via Pinterest: http://bit.ly/TsZe99
- Via Instagram: look for CruiseBuzz
Content will appear on Cruise Buzz on on iVoyage summary page, click here.
Day 1: Overnight in Basel, Switzerland on S.S. Antoinette
16 hours from the time I left Los Angeles International Airport, I have settled into stateroom 415 onboard S.S. Antoinette. Uniworld Cruises is dock alongside Steiger 3, Dreiländereck Westquaistrasse 61 CH-4057 Basel, Switzerland.
Here is one of my very favorite features of the ship: 10-foot Baccarat chandelier
A blue Strauss 10-foot Baccarat chandelier with massive sapphires, originally hanging in New York’s famed Tavern on The Green, graces the two-story lobby. The finest Brazilian marble adorns the walls and the floors; and a sparkling 19th-century Venetian glass mirror rest high above the reception desk reflecting an air of grandeur.
Deck the halls
One fun touch on this sailing is the abundance of holiday decor. The ship is outfitted with festive center-pieces on the tables, a few unobtrusive Christmas trees, and even a gingerbread house.
Dinner is served
Carlos was my server in the dinning room. I am looking for more great meals this week. In the meantime, check our what I had for dinner and a copy of the menus.
The ship is docked north of the city center. I walked the ship but the immediate area is rather industrial and lacks a lot of diversions. In the morning the ship will offer the included tour of the city and a complimentary shuttle bus from the ship to town. Stay tuned for my update tomorrow from the Christmas market near the cathedral.
Helpful travel resources for Basel, Switzerland:
- Information about Basel Christmas Markets (click here)
- Information about Basel, Switzerland official site (click here)
- Basel Tourism Twitter account
- Map of Basel (click here)
- Public transportation map (click here)