Culinary Enrichment at Sea
The Relais & Châteaux cooking school at sea offered on my 12 day Silversea Cruises voyage in China has been quite informative. Yesterday our visiting L’Ecole des Chefs culinary expert gave a fantastic culinary demonstration featuring Asian Style Salmon with Stir Fried Cabbage. In addition we had a lesson in making Asian-styled veal dumplings.
The Relais & Châteaux cooking school is designed exclusively for Silversea by Relais & Châteaux and hosted by Silversea’s Culinary Trainer, Chef David Bilsland.
Chef David used bamboo, eggplant, and local dumpling wrappers that he purchased in Shanghai with some guests that choose to shop with the chef.
Chef David, who has worked with Silversea since March 2007, is fun to watch and a wonderful teacher. Chef David is knowledgeable yet he is able to convey complex cooking technique to guests in a manner that is easy to understand. I am hoping to replicate what I learned when I get home, which should be easy since I have a recipe card and detailed instructions, thanks to Chef.
Chef David was educated in classical French cooking at Thames Valley University, completing advanced Chef Diplomas in both Cuisine and Patisserie.
- Going ashore with Silversea Cruises: Jiangyin, China on the Yangtze River
- Going ashore with Silversea Cruises: The water town of Zhujiajiao
- Photo recap of Shanghai’s top sites
- Exploring ashore with Silversea Cruises in Qingdao, China
- Qingdao China cruise port overview
- Pre cruise photo recap: 24 hours in Seoul, South Korea
- Cruise Review Silversea Cruises Voyage 3126