Port Buzz: Skagway
After two days of cruising, we arrive in Skagway. Today it is all about Gold Rush fever. In fact, Skagway, Alaska was known to thousands of hopeful gold rushers as the gateway to the gold fields. Not the easiest route to the Klondike, Skagway offered the shortest route to the gold.
The tiny little city of Skagway with a population of approximately 800 consists of a 20 by 5 block area. So enjoying a walk around the town to check out local cheer and to shop is easy. It takes about 10 minutes to walk to town from the Coral Princess.
My Skagway itinerary:
- Dog Sledding and Glacier shore excursion. This tour lasts two hours. The tour combines helicopter flightseeing with dog sledding. A winning combination for Alaska!
- Attend a complimentary Princess Scholarship@Sea course called “North to Alaska” presented by Steve Hites in the Coral Princess Universe Lounge. A Skagway entertainer, Hites will entertain cruisers with stories about the early days of Skagway.
- Princess Cruises Chef’s Table. This culinary extravaganza is a 13 course meal specially prepared by the Coral Princess’ Executive Chef.
- Afternoon tea in the Provence dining room
- Wii sports challenge with the Cruise Director’s staff. Today we will do the “Downhill Skiing” module.